Monday, May 2, 2011

Veronica

These little violet-like plants show up in our yard every year. I think I introduced them with some transplants from my previous house. The ruler tick marks represent millimeters, so the largest flowers are about a centimeter across. I don't know if these are really violets though. From what I can find, all violets (or all viola species anyway) have 5 petals. These all seem to have only 4 petals.

[Update: I've been informed that these are in fact Veronica (common name: speedwell).]

Photographed yesterday using and Epson Perfection 4490 Photo flatbed document scanner with the lid open.






What it looks like in the lawn.
Taken with the Sony Cyber-shot.
(The cable wasn't long enough to use the scanner.)

2 comments:

  1. What you've got is a beautiful little weed called Speedwell (Veronica). I think the one you have is Bird's-eye Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys). I have a lot of this in my yard outside my residence. It's not native but doesn't do much, if any harm. I love your scanned pictures. Really brings out the beautiful in these minute flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. L.
    Thanks for the identification. I don't mind having it in the lawn. Most of the time it looks pretty. I'll update the text to explain what it really is.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete