Friday, April 29, 2011

Blue cohosh

Caulophyllum thalictroides (Blue Cohosh) taken at SCA April 21 & April 26. But it took until last night to figure out what they were.



Photographer's excuses: I use our little Sony Cyber-shot camera for most of the pictures that I take at the conservation area and many of those that I take in our yard at home. The main advantage is that I can just carry it in my pocket. But I can also put it close to the ground or high in the air without having to follow with my head to look through a viewfinder. However, depending on the light or camera position, I often can't even see the display screen and have to rely purely on the luck of the auto-focus. However, if I take enough pictures of a subject, I can usually get a few in which the subject is at least almost in focus. In this case (maybe a coincidence) none of my dozen or so Blue Cohosh pictures were correctly focused. Maybe the camera has trouble with the plant's odd color, focusing instead on the lighter colored blanket of tree leaves. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it, at least until I get a chance to try again.



[Update - Friday, April 29: I took 15 more pictures of Blue Cohosh today, and only a couple were anywhere near in-focus. The above image is one of those. I also took a lot of pictures of other subjects, and most of them are in relatively good focus. I can't help but still think that it's a problem that this camera has with this plant's color.]

No comments:

Post a Comment