Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Potentilla norvegica (Norwegian cinquefoil)

Today's weed is Norwegian cinquefoil (Potentilla norvegica).



There are several of these weeds in the woods behind our house. I let them grow basically because I didn't know what they were. Most of the compound leaves have five lobes, but other than that, they look a lot like strawberry leaves, which are everywhere in our yard. Actually "ubiquitous" would be a more appropriate word than "everywhere", but "ubiquitous" has become -- well, it seems to be showing up everywhere lately.


A note about the pronunciation of cinquefoil:
I guess because the last language I learned was Italian (40 years ago), I was pronouncing the common name something like "chink-wuh-foil", until I finally looked it up and saw that it is normally pronounced more in a more Spanish way, "sink-foil" or in the more French way, "sank-foil".

No comments:

Post a Comment