Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What Remains After the Invasives are Removed

One of the more enjoyable aspects of this invasive species removal project (along with just being able to engage in an outdoor activity and see progress being made) is finding items (mainly trees) that I didn't previously know were there.  Most of the time I don't know what specific kind of tree they are until I look them up, which is part of the fun.  Several of them are still a complete mystery to me, and many I'm not completely sure of.

Typical area after invasives were removed.

As I lop down the invasive vegetation, I try to be careful not to damage any of the other flora.  As I've mentioned, there are not many other things visibly growing under the honeysuckle and buckthorn.  Probably the primary tree that I find is ash seedlings -- I don't know at what point they technically change from a seedling to a sapling, but most are shorter than a foot.  Because of their prevalence, and the number of larger ash trees in the woods I'm not excessively careful with these.  I also consider the fact that several New York counties have been infested with the emerald ash borer, so encouraging ashes to remain the dominant tree in the woods may be unwise.

Small strawberry plants.

Another plant that I find plentiful is strawberry.  I know that we have many in our yard, and they stand up pretty well to mowing, even producing a few minute berries if left un-mowed for a while in the spring.  Maybe now that they're getting more sun, some of the plants in the woods will produce a few strawberries too.

Poison ivy around a buckthorn stump.

As I've mentioned before, we do have poison ivy, and it's one of the more plentiful of the native plants.  I haven't done anything to control it lately, though I did spray Roundup on the poison ivy plants in the trails one of the first years we lived here.  The presence of poison ivy helps me maintain my carefulness about removing the exotics.  It's easy to get the toxin on about any exposed skin surface, so I'm careful to wash thoroughly when I take a break from lopping and sawing.

 
Panoramic view from near the compost bin at the back of the lot.

2 comments:


  1. Just wanna statement on couple of general issues, The web site layout is perfect, the subject matter is genuine superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favourite friends, when I have not asked for require anyone to mitigate, but soul is such a cruel attitude, that
    organize to beg in return help. I'm in a very touchy situation, ask Your friends, help
    they can, how much can. I want be hugely thankful to You.
    Perfect Money U 1557851 E 1512655 post: alexxx767@gmail.com
    PayPal : alexxx767@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete